Winter provides a lot of fun options for getting exercise that are suitable for the entire family and gives you the perfect excuse to try something new.
- Ice Skating. In Goshen, we get plenty of ice! There may be outdoor and indoor places to ice skate. Investing in a certain amount of ice skating lessons ensures weekly exercise is on your schedule during the winter months.
- Skiing. Plan a long weekend trip to a ski resort. Take a group lesson with your family and you’ll be on the slopes before you know it!
- Walking or Running. These exercise staples get you outside and moving with minimum preparation required. Dress properly, warm up and you’re good to go!
- Got Snow? Have a blast making snow angels, having a snowball fight, building a snowman or simply running through the snow.
- Just Play! If you can’t seem to muster the energy to work out, try “playing” instead. Whether in your backyard or a park, kids love games like tag and hide-and-seek. And there’s a good chance you’ll enjoy them too!
Can’t Get Outside?
While being outside and getting fresh air is always encouraged, sometimes it just isn’t possible, especially in the winter. Having some indoor alternatives will help keep you and your family in motion.
- Yoga Packages. Consider taking individual or family yoga classes at a gym or studio. If you haven’t taken a yoga class before, try it out and you may find you love the benefits.
- Family Swim. Many gyms set aside certain days and times for family swimming. Just remember to completely dry off and bundle up before heading back out into the cold!
- Indoor Rock Climbing. Rock climbing is a fun way to get some exercise and spend time with your family.
- Fitness DVDs. Buy some new fitness DVDs for when you can’t get out of the house.
- Dance Party. Put on some music and dance away!
Staying fit in winter doesn’t have to be a chore. If you get a bit creative, you’ll come up with plenty of other fun ways for you and your family to stay active, healthy and merry, snow or no snow.
Posted: 1/13/2015 by
Filed under: Fitness and Exercise, Healthy Lifestyle