Crisp, crunchy cucumbers are a classic salad ingredient and are well-known for their ability to soothe and de-puff tired eyes. But while most of us know that cucumbers are nutritious and low in calories, they contain many other health benefits you may not know about.
For example, did you know that cucumbers are 96 percent water and can help boost hydration? Or that they can applied topically to treat sunburns? It’s no wonder somebody coined the phrase “cool as a cucumber.”
- Check out more of the cucumber’s cool benefits below.
- Cucumbers contain potassium, which is linked to lower blood pressure levels.
- When consumed as a snack or in salads, cucumbers can aid weight loss due to their low calorie density.
- Cucumbers, which are packed with fiber as well as water, are great for digestion.
- If you have diabetes, a diet high in vegetables like cucumbers can help keep your blood sugar levels in check.
- Fermented pickles are a healthy probiotic and can be helpful to your digestive system.
- Place a cucumber slice on the roof of your mouth to fight odor-causing bacteria.
- Put cucumber slices in your drinking water to give it a fresh taste.
For more ways to add healthy key ingredients to your family's diet, talk to a registered dietitian with Goshen Health Nutrition Therapy.
Posted: 7/25/2016 by
Filed under: healthy eating, healthy kids