Documenting your wishes
The two most important documents needed are
- Appointing a healthcare representative – someone who is authorized to make medical decisions for you if you cannot communicate.
- Outlining what kind of health care you do or don’t want to receive if you cannot speak for yourself. This document and your instructions (written and verbal) to your healthcare representative will help guide him or her to be your advocate when speaking with your healthcare providers.
Because Goshen Health provides health care in Indiana, patients and their families will need to complete documents from the Indiana State Department of Health or documents provided by an attorney. Their Advance Directives Resource Center includes all the following documents, in English and Spanish:
- A brochure explaining the relevant terms
- Official forms to
- appoint a healthcare representative
- create a living will
- authorize a “Do Not Resuscitate” order
- request life-prolonging procedures
- complete a physician order for the scope of treatment (POST)
Reviewing these documents and discussing them with your family can help you better understand the treatment options available and make decisions about what measures you want to be taken in certain circumstances.
Once you have completed any of these documents, it is important to give a copy to your primary care provider; the hospital and your family members.
If you have questions, you are welcome to contact us at Goshen Health.