Cold weather is no reason for your family to take a break from staying active. Just five minutes of exercise outdoors can improve your mood and sense of wellbeing, researchers say. That means you can boost your mental health when you take a few minutes to walk in a park, play in the backyard or go on a nature trail.
Programs like ActiveTrac keep you moving
The smartphone in your pocket can help your family stay on track to better health. Try the free ActiveTrac program offered by Goshen Health that keeps track of your physical activity anywhere, any time – no matter what age!
ActiveTrac gives you simple ways to record your activity, whether it's playing with your kids, walking around the house or sweating out some lunges. No gym membership required!
Win prizes when you enter the ActiveTrac Winter Games challenge February 7-18. Simply enroll in the ActiveTrac program and get going!
Discover the athlete in you
Take some cues from everyday athletes and turn your backyard or living room into your own exercise arena.
Here are fun ways for you and your family to feel like an athlete right at home.
- Create Training Day exercises with squats, planks, push-ups and jumping jacks
- Build a snow creation outside or furniture fort inside
- Celebrate with a few dance moves you and your kids can do
- Throw snowballs – or game ball of any shape or size that's safe for your family
- Walk, run or climb up and down an incline or set of stairs
- Make up your own game moves – choose what works best for you
Try our Winter Games Challenge and test yourself!
Here are three ways the free ActiveTrac program can make a difference in the health and wellbeing of your family.
- Any movement counts – even playing with your kids! Start and stop your activities any time. Then just get going again when you're ready.
- Rewards help motivate you and your family as you track your progress. Set milestones that are right for every age in your household. Each time you reach your goal, you can earn prizes to add to your collection.
- Tip sheets, videos and activity guides are all part of the program. And the resources are free as soon as you register for the ActiveTrac program. They can help keep you motivated as you make physical activity a part of your everyday routine.
What are you waiting for?
Get up, get outside and get moving!
Only 10 minutes of physical activity a day can strengthen your heart, prevent illness and boost your mood. For even more energy in your life, take your exercise up a level to 30 minutes most days of the week. Or set a goal for your kids to get the recommended 60 minutes of activity every day to keep them on a healthy track.
Register for ActiveTrac