Summer Patient Care Extern Program
We have a summer extern program for student nurses. Serving as an extern increases your confidence and expertise, giving you a chance to put into practice the knowledge you’re gaining from your education. In addition, you learn what it’s like to work on a nursing team and explore a specific area of nursing, so you’ll have a better idea what you want to do when you graduate.
- 10-week summer program, June 1 to August 7, 2020
- 36 to 40 hours per week
- Specialty tracks with rotations in a variety of nursing areas
- One-on-one dedicated time with RN
- Monthly educational offerings
- Competitive pay
- Currently enrolled in an accredited BSN program and in good standing.
- Entering final pre-licensure year of nursing school (graduation December 2020 or May 2021)
- 3.0 GPA or higher
How to Apply:
- Complete online application, attach resume and cover letter
- Proof of CPR and immunizations required upon acceptance
- Email complete extern program packet
- Summer preference form
- Two faculty recommendation forms
- Skills validation form
- Official transcript
Candidates will be contacted to schedule an interview.
- Thursday, February 6, 2020, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday, February 7, 2020, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Thursday February 13, 2020, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Friday February 14, 2020, 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Download the Summer Extern Application Packet.
Email completed packet to the following address by January 31, 2020. Incomplete packets will not be accepted.
Recruiter | Human Resources
Haley Tranter, Goshen College Student – 2019 Patient Care Extern
"The PCE program gave me a lot of hands on experience and allowed me to really experience what RN's have to do during their shifts. It reassured me that nursing was the correct path for me and the culture at Goshen was amazing. The staff was so kind and so helpful, they were patient with all of my questions and I'm truly grateful for the opportunity I had during my summer externship."
Rebekah Bontrager, Bethel University Student – 2019 Patient Care Extern
"First off, I would highly encourage anyone who is thinking about applying for the externship program to just do it. It is an amazing opportunity! I think one of the largest impacts of the externship for me was that I gained a lot of confidence in my nursing care, skills, and in communication with other colleagues, patients, and patients' families. I got a lot more practice with skills than I have gotten in my clinical experiences so far. Also, I think it was helpful to have 10 full weeks to be on the floor as opposed to one or two days a week for 7 weeks that you get in clinical. It allowed for many more learning opportunities for me. The nurses I worked with over the summer were very welcoming and treated me as a member of the team. While no hospital is perfect, I really like the atmosphere and work environment at Goshen. Nurses definitely don't eat their young here, and they genuinely want new nurses and nursing students to succeed."