Living well with diabetes
The best medicine for your diabetes may be learning all you can about how to live healthy with the disease. Your knowledge of nutrition, exercise, monitoring and medication can help you manage your condition and enjoy life to its fullest.
Understanding your condition
Our Diabetes Education program includes classes, seminars, support groups and other services to help you get the information you need, get a plan that works for you, and get strong to live a healthy life.
We understand how difficult it can be to control your blood glucose. Many factors influence your levels, such as food choice and quantity, timing when you take your diabetes medications, stress, illnesses, your weight and your body's resistance to insulin. To help maintain healthy blood glucose, our educators teach you how to live with diabetes, whether you’re at home, school, work or out in the community.
- Understand the basics of diabetes pathophysiology
- Achieve control through exercise, food planning and medications
- Monitor the effectiveness of your management plan
- Prevent and recognize emergency situations
- Manage diabetes during minor illness and know when to call your doctor
- Decrease the risk of developing complications, such as kidney disease, eye disease, nerve damage or cardiovascular disease
- Plan meals and food intake
- Care for your feet
Learn how to live a healthy lifestyle with your diabetes. Talk with our diabetes educators, (574) 364-2746
Download the Living With Diabetes Booklet