The care you deserve after a neck injury
Trauma to any part of the neck is a serious concern. A neck injury can involve:
- Blood vessels
- Muscles, ligaments and tendons
- Esophagus and windpipe
- Spinal cord
- Spinal discs
Car accidents, sports accidents and falls are all common causes of neck injuries, including whiplash. Offering communities in Elkhart County comprehensive emergency care, Goshen Hospital Emergency Department treats neck injuries in Goshen, IN. We approach neck trauma with a high level of care, focusing on relieving your pain and preventing serious complications. Call 911 or visit us on High Park Avenue.
Symptoms of a neck injury and when to get emergency treatment
Symptoms depend on what area of the neck is affected. After a neck injury, you may have:
- Pain, which may worsen with movement
- Trouble moving the neck through its full range of motion
- Bleeding or bruising
- Fatigue, weakness or difficulty concentrating
- Sleep problems
- Sore throat
- Tingling and numbness that can spread to the shoulders and arms
A severe, life-threatening neck injury presents additional symptoms. Always call 911 if these symptoms appear after a neck injury:
Keeping Elkhart County safe from neck injuries
Minor neck injuries often heal without surgical or emergency treatment. When neck injuries are severe, Goshen Hospital Emergency Department offers 24/7 treatment.
If you’re near someone who suffers a neck injury, follow our first aid tips after calling for medical help:
- Do not move the person unless absolutely necessary.
- Do not pick up a child who has a neck injury. Help them remain still and hold their head in the position that you found it until medical help arrives.
- Do not try to straighten the neck.
- Do not remove a helmet.
- Monitor breathing and pulse and begin CPR if necessary. Continue until medical help arrives.
- Apply direct pressure to a bleeding wound, but do not change the position of the neck.
- Do not attempt to remove any object lodged in the wound or head.
For emergency care that’s personalized to your needs, visit us on High Park Avenue anytime you need to go to the ER for treatment a serious condition or illness.
Goshen Hospital Emergency Department provides quality care for neck injuries in Goshen, IN.