Emergency care for sudden, severe pain
You can feel sudden, severe pain in almost any part of the body. Depending on its location and related symptoms, this intense pain may be a sign of a life-threatening condition. Goshen Hospital Emergency Department is here to diagnose the cause of sudden, severe pain and provide the emergency care you need.
Our team is committed to serving Elkhart County. If you have a quick onset symptom like sudden, severe pain in Goshen, IN, call 911 or come to our emergency room on High Park Avenue.
Causes of sudden, severe pain based on the part of the body
What’s causing your pain may vary depending on the part of the body.
Sudden, severe headache
- Ruptured brain aneurysm
- Thunderclap headache, which is a severe headache that can be a warning sign of a subarachnoid hemorrhage
These conditions are medical emergencies – call 911.
Sudden, severe abdominal pain
- Abdominal aortic aneurysm or dissection
- Mesenteric artery occlusion, which is reduced blood flow to the intestines
- Bowel obstruction
- Bleeding stomach ulcer
- Acute cholecystitis, or an inflamed gallbladder
Sudden, severe back pain
- Compression fracture or spinal cord fracture
- Tear or strain in the back ligaments or muscle
- Kidney stone or infection
Sudden, severe pelvic pain
- Ectopic pregnancy or miscarriage
- Intestinal obstruction
- Diverticulitis, which is an infection in part of the intestinal lining
Diagnosing your pain at our emergency room
If the pain is the result of a trauma, the cause is obvious, but many times you need an expert to diagnose the cause of your severe pain. When you come to Goshen Hospital Emergency Department, explaining to your doctor or nurse where the pain is and what is feels like can help them diagnose the condition. Share exactly where the pain is located, when it starts, how long it lasts and if it feels like it’s throbbing, stabbing, burning or sharp.
We can perform any necessary tests and provide treatment that meets your unique needs. Whether the cause of your pain is serious or minor, expect to receive personalized, compassionate care.
Goshen Hospital Emergency Department treats all types of sudden, severe pain in Goshen, IN.