Skip to Content

Electric Shock

General Information

When an electric current travels through the body, electrical shock occurs. Electrical shock can damage internal organs, cause burns and even lead to cardiac arrest or death. Even a seemingly small electrical shock requires prompt evaluation and treatment.

The emergency department at Goshen Hospital assess injuries from electrical shock. With cardiac monitoring systems and advanced imaging, our emergency room Colleagues are prepared and equipped to provide the right treatment. Visit our ER for treatment for a wide range of serious medical conditions.

Electric shock symptoms to know

Skin burns are a common symptom of electrical shock. If an electric shock causes internal injury, symptoms may include:

After experiencing electrical shock, it’s important to have a doctor do a thorough assessment to determine the best treatment.

First aid for electrical shock

From exposed wiring to lightning strikes, electrical shock can happen from a variety of causes, including:

  • Arching from high-voltage power lines
  • Touching faulty appliances or wiring
  • Touching or inserting something into an outlet

The human body is a good conduit for electricity. That’s why it’s important to take extra precautions when caring for an electric shock victim.

To keep yourself safe and help the injured:

  • Call 911 for quick medical help.
  • Unplug the source of electricity or turn off the circuit breaker.
  • Never touch someone who has been shocked – use wood or rubber to move the victim away from the electrical source.
  • Do not try to rescue the injured person if he or she is near high-voltage power lines.
Are you a new or existing patient?