Skip to Content


General Information

Swallowing, inhaling or coming into contact with poison, such as getting it in your eyes, on your skin or inside your nose or mouth, is considered poisoning.

Common symptoms of poisoning include:

If you think you or someone near you has been poisoned, call your local poison control center at (800) 222-1222 or emergency help at 911.

Goshen Health is here to help you and your family stay safe and healthy. We provide education for our community, including awareness for poison look-alikes in Goshen, IN. If you have questions about our events, programs and trainings, call (574) 364-2496 for more information.

Household poisons to look out for

Not all poisons are obvious. Household items that can be dangerous include:

  • Cleaning products
  • Nail polish remover
  • Vitamin supplements
  • Car fluids, such as gasoline and antifreeze
  • Batteries
  • Prescription and over-the-counter medicines
  • Alcohol
  • Plants
  • Outdoor chemicals like pesticides and herbicides

Though there are some substances that harm children and not adults, just about any substance can be harmful in large enough quantities. Make sure to keep these items out of reach for children

How poison control can help

When you call the Poison Control Center, they can quickly explain the right care. For example, you may need to rinse the affected area for up to 20 minutes until help arrives. If you know what caused the poisoning, give the container to the emergency personnel.

Our team at Goshen Health strives to meet the community’s unique health needs and provide the resources for your well-being. Let us know how we can help. Call (574) 364-2496.

Goshen Health protects the health of Elkhart County by educating our community about poison control in Goshen, IN.

Are you a new or existing patient?