Alcohol slows your involuntary nervous system, which controls important functions like breathing, body temperature and heart rate. Alcohol poisoning, or alcohol overdose, happens when you continue to drink despite obvious impairment.
Drinking large amounts of alcohol in a short time – binge drinking – is usually what causes alcohol poisoning. The body can continue to absorb alcohol from the stomach and intestines even after you stop drinking, which is usually because you’ve passed out. Blood alcohol levels can keep rising while you are unconscious.
Coma, brain damage and even death can result from alcohol poisoning. If someone around you has alcohol poisoning, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
At Goshen Hospital Emergency Department, our team of board certified physicians and nurses certified in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) and Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) offers the personalized, prompt care you need for alcohol poisoning in Goshen, IN. We understand the danger at hand and respond quickly to prevent further complications.