Our approach to treating skin cancer
Skin cancer is the most common type of cancer in the United States.. It occurs when there’s an uncontrolled growth of abnormal skin cells primarily from overexposure to UV rays. Skin cancer is often curable, especially when it’s detected early. At Goshen Center for Cancer Care, we offer complete care for skin cancer at our Goshen and Warsaw locations from screenings to treatment.
Our cancer care experts combine their expertise and experience to attack skin cancer like no other hospital in the region. With naturopathic medicine, mind-body counselors and integrative care, we focus on healing all of you.
Ready to begin new patient orientation at Goshen Center for Cancer Care? Call (888) 492-4673 (HOPE) to talk to one of our oncology information specialists.
Skin cancer symptoms to know
The symptoms you experience depend on the type of skin cancer. Get familiar with these symptoms to know when you should see your doctor:
- Melanoma typically presents as a mole that changes in color, size or feel. The mole can bleed, have a brownish spot with darker speckles or appear as spot or mole with irregular borders.
- Basal cell carcinoma typically presents as a pale, waxy bump; a flat, flesh-colored growth that looks like a scar; a shiny, scaly patch that’s pink or red; or an open sore that does not heal.
- Squamous cell carcinoma typically presents as a flat, scaly skin patch; a skin lump with a rough surface; or open sore that does not heal.
Causes and prevention
UV rays damage skin cells and cause them to grow out of control. Spending a lot of time in the sun and using tanning beds are two main causes of UV overexposure.
Other risk factors for skin cancer include:
- Actinic keratosis – a precancerous skin condition
- History of sunburns going back to childhood
- Family or personal history of skin cancer
- Weakened immune system
- Male gender
- Older age
- Fair skin, freckling and light hair
To stay on top of your skin health, schedule a skin cancer screening at Goshen.
An integrated model of care at Goshen
Taking care of all of you – and not just your cancer – is our goal. At Goshen Center for Cancer Care, our team meets on a regular basis to assess each patient’s case and create treatment plans unique to each person.
For skin cancer, standard treatment options include:
Request an appointment online to get started with our expert cancer treatment team.
Goshen Center for Cancer Care treats the different types of skin cancer at our locations in Goshen and Warsaw, Indiana, for patients from Fort Wayne, South Bend and beyond.